Tuesday 1 May 2012

Sunset At Permatang

During the weekdays, the industrial zone in Bayan Lepas is as far as I would go. But last Saturday brought me further south, to a small village located on the south-east tip of Penang island - Permatang Damar Laut.

Penang::Permatang Damar Laut Sunset
Sunset at Permatang Damar Laut

Besides the all too familiar stretch of beach in Batu Ferringhi on the northen part of the island, there are a few less known (albeit more easily accessible) beaches on the opposite end. From the south-east to the south-west, there's Batu Maung, Permatang Damar Laut, Teluk Kumbar and Gertak Sanggul. I knew I would have to stop by at these spots for some photo some day. Finally, I decided to start with the closest one, Permatang Damar Laut (or better known among the locals as simply "Permatang").

Picture this: Cows lazying on the field, mouths constantly moving as if they're chewing gum; plenty of goats grazing the grass, stopping only to give an occasional "meh"; roosters pecking the ground, some crowing at the wrong time of the day... That's Permatang Damar Laut, one of the few idyllic villages left in Penang.

It is also said to be one of the few beaches in Penang with clear water left and is recommended as a photo spot. I went there without getting my hopes too high but got disappointed nevertheless. Not only was the clear water gone, the place was scattered with so much rubbish that it takes great effort to find a photo spot without including unnecessary details in the shot. Part of the shore also became a dumping spot for construction wastes. My right sandal fell victim to some broken bricks while I walked on the dump trying to find a spot to take photos.

I thought this was going to be a fruitless trip but luckily, I decided to stay long enough for a shot at the sinking sun as it retired from behind the nearby hills. As it set, it cast an orange hue on the western sky. The colour of the sky slowly changed from orange to blue in a smooth gradient. Also, a long exposure of 30 seconds also resulted in a misty effect on the rocks as the waves smashed on them. (Stronger waves would have done a better job though.)

There! At least I brought back a souvenir from what I thought was a fruitless trip!

0 persons flung their shoes: