Wednesday 11 March 2009

South Korea - Land of the Morning Calm

I have no idea what I've been doing these past few days. It's the holidays for goodness sake but I haven't done anything meaningful. I promised myself I'd write one post a day about my trip to Seoul but it's a promise I can't keep to myself. I intended to write this one after I finished till Day 6 of the trip but I guess I'll do it now instead.

I've edited four photos I took in South Korea into wallpapers (1200 x 800 pixels). My personal favourite is the fourth one, taken in Suwon. Taking the photo from a guard outpost opposite the north gate, the roof and the wall provided a perfect framing for the shot.

South Korea Wallpaper #1
Jangseung 장승; 長承
This is a Korean totem pole, usually placed at the edges of villages to ward off evil spirits. In the olden days, Koreans used to practise shamanism that was influenced by Buddhism and Taoism from China. (Taken on Day #2, at Namiseom.)

South Korea Wallpaper #2
Namsangol Hanok Village 남산골한옥마을
The interior of a traditional Korean house. (Taken on Day #4, at Namsangol)

South Korea Wallpaper #3
Red and Green 단청; 丹靑
This pavilion is located at a busy junction in downtown Seoul. The contrasting colours of green and red were especially vibrant under the light up.

The word 단청 literally means "red and green". For a list of the names of different shades of red, please refer to Korean Language Notes. (Taken on Day #5, in downtown Seoul)

South Korea Wallpaper #4
Hwaseong, Suwon 수원화성; 水原華城
When I checked the map in front of the Suwon station, I thought Hwaseong was close enough for me to go on foot without getting lost. But I took one wrong turn and it took me 30 minutes before I realized I was heading towards the wrong direction. Tracing my steps back, I finally found my way though; it took me one hour.

Suwon is about one hour from central Seoul. The fortress, Hwaseong is definitely a must-see spot. Built by King Jeongjo to guard his father's tomb, the walls surrounded the city of Suwon. The place is now designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

This gate (Janganmun), located in the north, and the other one (Paldalmun ) in the south are the largest of the four gates. They resemble Namdaemun in Seoul, which unfortunately has been wrapped under vinyl sheet since the arson incident. (Taken on Day #6, at Hwaseong)

1 persons flung their shoes:

Unknown said...

Nice pictures! =)