Saturday 20 December 2008

Mismatched Socks

It's five more days till Christmas. Though not an official holiday in Japan, it 's nevertheless celebrated with fanfare - just like the over-commercialized Valentine's Day - by fans of Santa Claus and non-fans alike. To me, however, the only significance is that it serves as a reminder that the year is drawing to a close.

I adamantly believe it has to do with the positions of the stars that I'm rendered retrospective during this time of the year. But then, I suppose many people feel the same.

I haven't worked out my new year resolutions yet. Frankly, I've never put serious thought into that. But, I do have a list of things to do for the short term. Yep, as you can see for yourself, I've changed the template of my blog for the... uh... umpteenth time. I've been thinking of doing it since last summer, but it just ended up becoming one of those things that never get started and was eventually relegated to the dusty corners of the cluttered memory.

You see, it isn't easy to decide a theme for your blog; it has to be something that opens the floodgates of ideas so that you have plenty of things to work on. I couldn't make a head start last holiday because of the lack of inspiration.

Just right after I gave up on my plans, an idea struck me in the least expected manner. Senseless though it sounds, it has to do - though not directly - mismatched socks. Oh no, don't get me wrong. Though I often wake up late and end up having to rush to school , I've never worn any mismatched socks. It was the mismatched socks of a friend, Richard, which inspired me. (Well, at least unlike dying your hair red ala Ronald McDonald, socks with mismatched colours don't get noticed often. But it's still a bold fashion statement.)

When I commented on his socks, Richard pointed to his snickers. Guess what? Mismatched colours.

Cool.

But that didn't become the theme of my new design; I didn't have much to work on. I liked it; it was random. But I needed something more... Then recalling what Richard told me before about it shall be left as it is for old time's sake.)

That pretty much explains the mysterious "mismatched socks" you see in the header up there. As for the "time-travelling dust bunnies", I'll leave it for another day. But as you may have guessed, it's just another thing random.

0 persons flung their shoes: